Week One of our New Year No Spend is complete. I have to say I am a little proud of myself. I Started out the month with all the joy and enthusiasm of someone striding forth into an epic fad diet, I am motivated, I’ve got a plan and a list. Unlike my last lifestyle overhaul, when I decided I would become a runner, I sadly didn’t get to spend £100 on cute floral gym clothes this time, it’s a hard life.
Day 2 and I was already ready to climb into the back of the fridge for that sneaky bit of chocolate. Usually at this point in the month I take a peek at our bank account and have a little panic attack, we are spent out. I am an EXCELLENT budgeter, I have the most glorious spreadsheets. I am not, however, a skilled implementer. If I take nothing else from this experience I think I have finally solved the mystery of where all our money goes. I have kept a list of every spend-crave I have had this past week…
- 1 Bookshelf for Florrie (picked, measured & stock checked – but not purchased #winning) £22
- 1 Drive Thru Mcdonalds Coffee (sadly the only drive thru available near me for baby-asleep-in-car-must-not-stop-driving moments. If honest this would definitely involve chips too) £3
- Steam Cleaner Mop (cannot cope with slate floor tiles anymore) £40
- Professional Oven Clean £40
- New Jeans (to replace split pair – maybe I need to diet too?!) £32
- Winter Hat for Florrie (in the sale and it had ears) £5
- Additional PS4 Controller £40 (rip off ahem)
- Living Room Curtains (in sale and matched my armchair) £65
I think I may have solved the mystery and potentially uncovered an impulsive shopping addiction. Even purchasing just a few of the above items, which last month would have happened, would throw us so over budget it’s ridiculous! The fact that I managed to resist the above shopping temptations is another matter entirely, high five Fifi!
I am truly falling in love with this simple life we are leading this January. With no budget to go ‘out’ we have been spending such wonderful quality time together, snuggling up with books and films, raiding the pantry for baking ingredients and planning merry wanderings in National Trust gardens (if the rain cares to ease a little?). I think it’s safe to say I am at that moment where I stepped on to the scales and been pleasantly surprised to see I’ve lost a few pounds – or gained, I should say!
-Fifi & Florence x
P.S. Thank you to our dear, dear friends for the Starbucks gift card you gave us this Christmas, its timely existence in our lives is most wonderful!x