How is it possible that we are already halfway through September? I hate to be the one to say it folks, but Christmas is approaching at a rate of knots! Is anyone else feeling that September slump? The freshness of a new term has worn off, you’ve already lost, blunted or stained your shiny new stationery? Perhaps you’re struggling to ‘get back into routine’, the sudden abrupt turn of the weather has given you whiplash or you’re little one is tired and cranky from the intense new adventure that is school.
Whatever the reason, we’ve most certainly had a ‘slumpy’ couple of weeks and I for one am fed up of it. I’m also fed up of my toddler licking everything in sight (the keyboard has just got a good going over) but that’s a whole other post! Here are my top tips for beating the ‘September Slump’…
- Drink all the water. It’s been said time and time again but it is seriously remarkable how much fresher you’ll feel with the extra hydration. Aim for 8 glasses (2 litres) and remember things like herbal tea count towards your total. Goodbye headaches and bloating, hello multiple bathroom breaks!
- Embrace the weather. We’ve been enjoying a somewhat Indian Summer, but if the rain is here to stay get those wellingtons out. Perhaps it’s even time to invest in a new winter coat, hurrah! Don’t let the weather keep you house bound, if you’re nicely prepared a wet walk doesn’t have to be a bad one. Stomp in the puddles, brush past wet bracken and marvel at dewey spider webs. Why not pop a stew in the slow cooker or a cake in the oven for a delicious hot treat on your return?
- Things to live for. I have a wonderful friend who once told me you always have to have ‘things to live for’ in your diary, you know, the ones that you long for, make endless plans and have a countdown on your phone. Make sure you have one in the making, no matter how far off.
- A treat a day. On the other end of the scale make sure you have something little to look forward to everyday. It could be 30 minutes curled up with your favourite book, an episode of something you adore, a tiny chocolate hit or a creative pursuit. After the chaos of dinner, bath, bed (and tidying up the latter!) Trevor and I always take half an hour to ourselves, he’s teaching himself to play guitar and I’ll often pick up my paintbrush or flick through a magazine. Life is everyday, make sure everyday has a little sweet spot.
- Count you achievements. You may not have cleaned the entire bathroom but boy that sink you managed to wipe down before the baby woke up looks damn good. Let’s celebrate the small things and not beat ourselves up over the rest of the three piece suit.
- Find your tribe. September is one of those immensely busy months, be sure to schedule in time with your favourite people. Laugh, love and do life together.
So my lovely friends, I wish you a wonderful rest of the month, may your harvest be bountiful and your autumnal transition cosy.
– Fifi & Florence x